Thank you so much to Searching for Hope… for nominating me for a Sunshine Blogger Award. I would like to acknowledge and applaud this blogger, who is bravely sharing her story with narcissistic abuse. Every time we tell our stories, we show the world that we refuse to be shamed, to live in silence and fear. We refuse to let our dark past keep us from shining.
This is my second blogging award for #Speak, the first one being the Mystery Blogger Award. It is truly an honor to be recognized twice now for this blog. Words have the power to touch our lives in such a profound way. I started this blog to encourage other survivors speak out and to help them feel less alone along their journey. And since I started writing more than a year ago, I have found more support than I had ever known. It is the supportive comments from my followers that have kept me going on my worst days. And I hope that my words have been able to offer them this same encouragement and hope.
In case you haven’t heard of the Sunshine Blogger Award, this award is “given to bloggers who are deemed to be creative, positive and inspiring while spreading sunshine to the blogging community.”
Here are my answers to the questions from “No More Shaming the Abused”
- What’s the most interesting place you have traveled to?
- Paris. I became enchanted by this beautiful city as soon as I arrived. Plus it is filled with amazing shopping.
- Who is your favorite author?
- JK Rowling. I could not live without the magic of Harry Potter.
- Do you meditate?
- I’ve been trying to but I’m not exactly the best at it yet.
- What or who do you miss right now?
- My dog. I miss him every second I’m not with him.
- What song gets you out of a rut?
- “This is me” from The Greatest Showman. This song is such a powerful reminder that we are all unique and that this is nothing to be ashamed of. Our strength comes from our individuality. One of my favorite lines is: “I’m not scared to be seen. I make no apologies, this is me.”
- Favorite type of vacation?
- Disney world. Nothing beats getting to feel like a kid again and use my imagination.
- What’s the one thing you learned about you this year?
- That I’ve got a lot of fight in me. This past year has brought many challenges and surprises, in particular, my decision to make a statement against my abuser at my school’s Title IX office. It has not been easy, that is for sure. But I’m still fighting. I refuse to let my abuser win yet again.
- What motivates you to blog?
- Blogging is definitely work, which is something I had never realized. But even when it feels difficult, it’s the readers’ comments that make it all worth it. Every time I get an encouraging comment from a reader, or when someone tells me that my story has helped them feel less alone, it just feels incredible. There is no other feeling like it in the world.
- Where were you born?
- So I’m going to pass on this one and try to remain a Mystery, in keeping with the Mystery Blogger award 😉
- What was one of the best days of your life?
- Definitely when I went to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence conference last September in Washington DC. During this conference, I finally started to feel a weight lifted. I felt safe and accepted from the moment I arrived. I didn’t have to hide who I was or what I went through. Plus, I was in a new city and didn’t have to worry about running into my abuser or being surrounded by memories of him at every turn. For the first time in a long time, I felt truly free.
- What common misconception do you hate to hear repeated as fact?
- That the left hemisphere of the brain is male and that the right hemisphere is female. The brain is way more complicated than that.
- What is your favorite name for a dog?
- Who is your biggest inspiration?
- What is your favorite blog post, either from your blog or someone else’s, and why?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What is the weirdest dream (or nightmare) you’ve ever had?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever heard?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- Describe your most awkward tinder date.
- Name one hidden talent.
- What is the silliest thing you’ve ever spent money on?
- What is the biggest lie you’ve ever told?
- Thank the blogger(s) who nominated you in a blog post and make a link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions sent to you by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate up to 11 new blogs to receive the award, and then write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or your blog.
Keep Shining ❤